Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Entry 9: Rex Winship and Jacob Lawrence

Rex Winship, Trader

I chose to read Rex Winship’s story because his occupation is one that I have always considered pursuing. Trading is a job that I could see myself doing. The brief introduction before the story revealed that Rex Winship is highly successful in this profession, so I was even further drawn to his story. Reading the opinions of someone who is successful in something you may consider doing is always fascinating and also valuable. I read his story eager to learn about his mindset and what made him so successful. What I ended up getting from the story did not really connect to the initial reason I read it.
The trading strategy and tips are not what stick with me after reading Rex’s story. I cannot get past all of the predictions he made that turned out to be spot on. He predicted a globalization of communication and this has precisely happened with the advancement in technology of phones and the internet. He also predicted that trading would become a young man’s game, which has occurred as well. From this prediction he made even more correct predictions: a need for greater education and marriages later in life. He said that there would be fewer farmers as the country would begin to import everything and this has certainly happened. The prediction that really resonates and truly amazed me was when he declared that there would be tremendous debt in the nation’s future because everybody would become consumers rather than savers. That exact situation is presenting a great problem for the nation’s economy. I am in awe of these predictions and truly do not understand how he could have had such great foresight. The man who said “All you have to do in life is figure which way the money flow is gonna go” makes these bold pinpoint predictions. Rex Winship used the pattern of money and markets to predict future society and economy. I planned on reading about trading, but all I can think about is his foresight.   

Jacob Lawrence, Artist

I am not an artist. I wish I was more artistic and I have a great respect for art, but still I am not an artist. I have a great admiration towards artists because they excel in something I am incapable of doing. I really like art and likewise I like hearing from artists. I chose this story because I feel that artists always have such unique insight on life. I do not think like an artist, so it intrigues me to read the thoughts of one. Once again, I came away from the story thinking of something much different than I had anticipated.
 Jacob Lawrence said, “Too bad a depression had to come along to do this, but it was wonderful for people my age, some of them now renowned”. He is referring to the programs established by the Roosevelt Administration during the Great Depression and how they spurred his career path as an artist. Jacob had the ability to receive lessons in the arts as a child and he is grateful for this opportunity. Most inner-city children no longer have this option, and Jacob sees this as a danger for the future of society. Children are becoming afraid to express themselves because of the lack of arts. Throughout elementary school and middle school I thought that art and music were useless classes and by high school we are not even required to take them. An artist truly knows the importance of art and after reading Jacob’s ideas I can understand why. I find it ironic yet inspiring that Jacob’s career was inspired by programs from the depression. We learned about these programs in class and it is neat to see how they affected someone.    

No comments:

Post a Comment